Following along on the journey? Here’s a timeline of where I’ve been and where I’m headed.
June 15 : I left my job!
June 27 – July 11: Raleigh/ DC/ Pittsburgh
- Guide: where to eat, drink and play in Pittsburgh.
- Guide: where to eat, drink and play in Raleigh, NC.
- Guide: where to eat, drink and play on Ocracoke Island.
July 11 – July 18: Mexico City
July 18- July 26: Oaxaca de Juárez, Mexico
July 26 – Aug. 2: Bahías de Huatulco, Mexico
Aug. 2 – Aug. 15: San Cristóbal de las Casas, Mexico
Aug. 15 – Aug. 22: Panajachel, Guatemala
Aug. 22 – Sept. 12: Antigua, Guatemala
- Column: Beautiful Antigua has a reputation of being “dangerous?”
- Column: Journey to Antigua’s surrounding hilltops.
- City guide: Where to eat, drink and play in Antigua.
- Photo gallery: Antigua in images.
Sept. 12 – Oct. 1: Panajachel, Guatemala (again!)
- Guide: How to live in Guatemala (or stay for an extended period of time).
Oct. 2 – Oct. 18: USA
- Column: On my return to the U.S., here’s what I missed.
- Column: Back in the U.S., I’m richer than I ever knew.
- Video: How to Pack (part 2).
Oct. 18 – 22: Guatemala City
Oct. 22 – Nov. 4: Cobán, Guatemala
- City guide: Where to eat, drink and play in Cobán.
- Video: Two weeks in Cobán.
- Video: Day of the Dead in Guatemala.
Nov. 4-5: Guatemala City
- Column: Perspectives on the migrant caravan from Central America.
Nov. 5-13: Cary, NC
Nov. 13-14: Guatemala City
Nov. 14-26: Flores, Guatemala
- Guide: Where to eat, drink and play on Isla de Flores.
- Video: Living it up on Isla de Flores.
- Column: My love letter to Guatemala.
Nov. 26-Dec. 3: San Ignacio, Belize
Dec. 3-10: Placencia, Belize
Dec. 10-18: Caye Caulker, Belize
- Guide: Where to eat, drink and play on Caye Caulker.
- Column: My very serious thoughts on how to spend time in Belize.
Dec. 18-Jan.17: USA
- Column: A new appreciation for holiday traditions.
- Column: Reflections on 2018.
- Column: Resolutions for 2019.
Jan. 17-Feb. 17: Corozal, Belize
- Guide: What to do in Corozal.
- Column: Why this little northern Belizean town is my favorite place.
- Column: Finding home in, leaving Corozal.
Feb. 17-21: Caye Caulker, Belize
Feb. 21-March 1: Placencia, Belize
Feb. 26-March 7: Puerto Cortes, Honduras
- Column: Reflections from this complicated city.
March 7-19: Gracias, Honduras
- Column: Change and complexity in Gracias.
March 19-25: Comoyagua, Honduras
- Column: A necessary education (thoughts on the machismo culture of Honduras).
March 25-April 2: Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- Column: A Tegucigalpa welcome.
April 2-10: San Pedro Sula, Honduras
- Op-ed: How are Hondurans reacting to Trumps’s proposed cuts? A perspective from SPS.
- Column: Chemex, craft beer and joy in Honduras’ most violent city.
April 10-13: Cincinnati, Ohio
- Guide: How to travel in the U.S. for a summer as a broke nomad.
April 13-15: Lexington, Kentucky
- Video: A day at the race track.
April 15-May 1: Pittsburgh, Penn.
- Column: In the land of the free, our toilets flush all.
- Column: While we get enraged about foreign interference, let’s consider our own, too.
May 1-8: Los Angeles
May 8-13: Denver
May 13-27: Raleigh
- Column: How my dad and I found culinary commonality over NC ‘cue.
May 27-June 1: New Orleans
June 1-13: Pittsburgh
June 13-16: Annapolis, Maryland
- Column: Indulging the senses in Annapolis.
June 16-20: Pittsburgh
June 20-24: New York
- Guide: How to visit NYC on a budget.
June 24-July 3: Montreal
- Column: Why Montréal just might be my new favorite food city.
July 3-24: Minneapolis
July 24-29: Detroit
- Column: An ode to slow travel.
July 29-Aug. 7: SURPRISE! Minneapolis again!
- Column: Ruined travel plans — the perfect surprise.
- Column: The hours before takeoff feel like this.
Aug. 7-8: Atlanta
- Playlist — U.S.A. Summer Feels.
Aug. 8-Nov. or Dec: El Salvador
- Column: Why I came to El Salvador.